Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Update

I figure its time for an update.

Thank you to all for your kind words, thoughts, phone calls and messages. It really was a trying time when I wrote that blog post about my PPD. Since then, I have taken matters into my own hands and sought professional help. Counseling and (slight) medication combined really do work wonders! I seriously feel SO much better. My heart is healing, and my marriage is healing.

Marriage really is one of those tricky things where you (or maybe just I) just expect it to work. I just expected it to be easy all the time. If it wasn't easy, I thought something was wrong. Marriage is hard, but its beginning to be worth it again. For a while there, I just didn't think it was worth it - but I can see the light again! I really do love my husband and am grateful for him. I'm grateful that he is such a wonderful father. I admire him for his willingness to take care of Marshall as much as he does, and for being such an equal when doing things around the house. I would not be able to work full-time if it weren't for such a supportive, helpful husband.

The last few weeks Will and I have been working on going on more dates, just the two of us. The first seven months of being parents did not include much time devoted to being a couple - as we spent most of our time adjusting to being parents. Most of the "dating" we did was spent in front of the TV after Marshall went down for bed. This has been hard on us, considering we used to go on a date every weekend before Marshall was born. We would go out and see every movie and eat out way too often. We have a new resolution of a date night every two weeks now. Our first recent date (a few weeks back) involved sushi (which I had been craving since I was pregnant, and just got it for the first time since), Coldstone, and shopping for new boots! Last Saturday we were able to go to see The Grey (crazy movie!) and eat a local Mexican restaurant that I had a groupon for. It was a spectacular evening! I really do love dating my husband - and I look forward to continuing to do so.

I really am grateful for such amazing family and friends. Thank you again for all of your support during a very difficult time. I love you all!

4 comments:

Chera said...

That was a great post Peggy and I missed your post about PPD so I am a little behind! What you said about how you felt is almost exactly how I felt. It took a full year after having Marshall to feel right. Hindsight I know I should have asked for professional help. I am glad I am not the only one :). And I am glad you are doing better.

Natalie said...

Awesome post!! Goood on ya Peggy! You're doing an awesome job and I'm so glad things have take a turn for the better. You have looked brighter recently. I'm happy for you guys. : )

Kati Howard said...

How wonderful to hear Peggy!

PPD is real and I'm so glad you've been able to work with profesionals who specialize in treating such illnesses so that you can get back to the healthier you.

I can totally remember what it was like to have a new baby and suddenly the world that once revolved around you and your spouse was consumed with a needing infant. It always takes couples a while to adjust to that and I'm happy to hear that you and Will are making an effort to MAKE time for eachother.

It really is important. Marriage is HARD, dating is HARD--especially with a baby, but with honest work at it you can make it work. I hope with time you will feel whole again.

Love you Peggy!

Christina said...

YAY!!! That is wonderful news. Once you can see past the dark fog---you really are on your way out of it. And it is amazing what date nights will do for you. And maybe a massage here and there. :) Make sure you take time to spoil yourself every now and again.