Sunday, August 30, 2009

Attempting - Little Miss Homemaker

Will and I are attempting a challenge - we are going to eat dinner at home the entire month of September (and take-out does NOT count)! We usually do very good about it - but August was kinda a bad month. Granted we still averaged 3-4 times a week making dinner - but we spent WAY more than we should've going out to eat, just because I was being lazy... it was also a vacation month and we weren't in the normal swing of things but September will be a challenge for sure!

Lately though - I have accomplished some pretty good things in the kitchen! I'm trying new recipes and so far none have flopped!

First up was magic bars: Layered graham cracker crust, chocolate chips,
butterscotch chips and coconut!! YUMMMM!
I got the recipe from a gal in our ward whom I serve with
in the Relief Society. Thanks, Pam!
Next up: I have finally accomplished yeast rising bread!
After MANY failed attempts since we've been married -
and MANY phone calls to my mom later - IT WORKED!

I made wiener wraps for dinner last night. Will and I are still
arguing over whether they are called "wiener wraps" or "pigs in a blanket"
I made them - so they are called wiener wraps.
I had enough leftover dough to make a loaf of bread.
My very first bread success : )
I've got our dinner menu planned for about two weeks out - and I'll finish up the menu for the entire month in the next couple days. We are also going to start working harder on our 30 days of food storage - although I think if there was power we'd be just fine with our beef! We are going to try to buy more items we use in cans instead of barrels of wheat we have no clue what to do with! I'm thinking lots of baked beans. : )

Also, I start my online classes at CCD tomorrow (Community College of Denver). Chemistry online - wish me luck!

2 comments:

Katelyn Graves said...

That bread looks so good! So Nick and I have successfully eaten at home for 30 days this month so we only have tomorrow to go! We started that challenge this past month because we moved into our house and we are pretty tight on money. So I can tell you from experience it is fun at first to make the plan and have all the groceries and then it gets hard around the middle of the month when you are needing to buy a few more things but after that hump I don't even miss it anymore! Now I don't even want to go out because I am so proud of our streak so we have at least two more weeks planned already. We haven't saved any money yet because we also started stocking up on our food storage since we now have a pantry but I am sure it will help out a lot. I love your little freezer! That is definitely something we need to get. Good luck on your eating at home adventure!

Kati Howard said...

Kudos to you on the new life change. Sometimes it's challenging at first to cook at home, but the more you do it the easier it becomes. I also took the challenge to have all our meals for the month (3 each day and snacks) planned. We usually do grocery shopping once a month, with the exception of milk... and sometimes fresh produce. It's amazing the amount of money we save by not making last minute decisions. I have to give you mad props on the bread. It looks SO GOOD! I, on the other hand, have never made homemade bread. So you ARE little Miss Homemaker.