Sunday, March 29, 2009

Spring Blizzard

I have had a lovely LONG weekend.  My work sent everyone home early Thursday at noon because of the blizzard - and then it was cancelled Friday too!  Will even got sent home from work Thursday as well - and he already had Friday off.  So all in all - great long weekend!  I only live two miles from my work - and it took over an hour to get home with all the traffic.  I was going to take the bus - but I didn't plan ahead with my shoes and I couldn't walk the 6 blocks in that snow with my shoes.  My feet were freezing!  Luckily someone from work drove me home!

This picture is of me.... standing under cover.
My lack of shoes:
Everyone rushing to get home at 1230.
Our apartment building when I finally arrived home Thursday. 
I had to make my way through that snow up the steps to the door.
It was painful for my cold feet!
Friday morning we had to drive to Aurora to get Will's car fixed - and I had to follow him in my little car.  I am always surprised at how well my  car does in the snow!  I took this photo ... yes while driving.  Apparently Colorado is done plowing for the season.

Crazy weather ... for just a day of course. 

Oh and my success for the weekend was making breakfast burritos.  They turned out really well.  I got the recipe out of the newest Taste of Home magazine.  I tweaked it a bit - here it is:

Bear's Breakfast Burritos:
(makes 6-7 burritos)

1 pkg. (24 oz) frozen shredded hash browns
8 eggs
1 Tbsp. chili powder
1 Tbsp. garlic salt
1/2 Tbsp. ground cumin
1 lb. uncooked bulk pork sausage 
1 (4 oz.) can of diced jalapeno peppers
1/2 green pepper, chopped
1/2 sweet red pepper, chopped
1/2 large onion, chopped
1-2 cups salsa
flour tortillas
shredded Monterey Jack cheese

cook hash browns according to package directions then set aside.  Meanwhile, in a bowl, whisk the eggs, chili powder, garlic and cumin - then set aside.  In a large skillet, cook the pork, jalapenos, peppers and onions over medium head until meat is cooked - drain.  Add reserved egg mixture; cook and stir over medium heat until eggs are set.  Stir in salsa.  Spoon 1/2 cup or so of hash browns and 1/2 cup eggs mixture off center on each tortilla.  Sprinkle with cheese (however much is wanted).  Fold sides and ends over filling and roll up.  Wrap each burrito in wax paper and foil.  Serve warm or cool remaining burritos then freeze up to one month.

To use frozen burritos: remove foil and wax paper. place burritos on an ungreased baking sheet and bake uncovered for 50 min or until heated through.

These burritos were bomb according to Will.  I made these yesterday - put them in the freezer and we baked a couple after church today.  Very convenient and yummy!  Sorry I didn't get any photos of the burritos but we still have several in the freezer.  Maybe next time. : )


No comments: